Just as a final note, I want to go over all of the goals I had this month and share how I did with each of them. Here we go!
- Finish the Arabic Qur’an – DONE 🙂
- Finish the English Qur’an – DONE 🙂
- Donate money: DONE 🙂
- Listen to online lectures: DONE 🙂 I wish I listened to more though…
- No American music – I did pretty well I guess. There were a few times where a song had just come out and I wanted to hear it once, so I did, and then I did listen to music whenever I was driving, but other than that I stayed pretty clean. I never (except once for like 10 minutes) just put on music to drown out the silence like I normally do.
- No K-pop/music videos/K-pop blog/talk shows or reality shows/Korean dramas – I literally watched one show and a couple music videos, but that’s it. Alhamdulillah, overall I was pretty diligent about this goal. (Although I did listen to K-pop whenever I exercised, but I consider that one an exception)
- No TV – I definitely watched less than I normally do, but I was nowhere near cutting it completely out. 😦
- No Youtube – This was the most difficult. I watched a lot of videos about Islam (but I don’t count that as part of youtube). I didn’t go from video to video, which is pretty good for me, and the videos I did watch were only ones that I really wanted to watch, but I definitely could have done better with this goal.
- Take part in some kind of food-packing –Not done 😦 Next year, inshaAllah.
- Re-memorize all of the 30th juz in the Qur’an – Not done 😦 Next year, inshaAllah.
- Pray all prayers on time: I only prayed Duhr late twice this Ramadan and aside from that, I didn’t miss a single one. I cannot believe that. I really struggle with praying my prayers on time, and I think this is the best I’ve ever done in one month. Alhamdulillah.
- Cook a lot: I only was able to cook about half the recipes I wanted to. So I guess that’s half success, half failure.
- Exercise every day: Another half success, half failure. I had planned on doing a work out every night right after iftar/dinner, and I was actually pretty regular about it for the first half of the month, but in the end, I think I only worked out maybe twice in the second half of the month. Exercising every day is a constant goal.
- Figure out a Suhoor plan: COMPLETE FAIL! All the way through the very last day of fasting, I was still scrambling to find something suitable to eat for suhoor. I just could not get a regular meal going.
So overall, I guess I made a lot of progress, and I’m definitely happy about the Qur’an and praying that I did. Those were the most important goals for me anyway. The rest were good, but a little disappointing, but I am hopeful that next year I can do better. I also want to get in the habit of praying Tahajjud every day next year. I only decided to make that a goal on the 26th of Ramadan this year. I also want to read through the books of Hadith next year since I finished the English Qur’an this year.
That suhoor though…I’m just happy I didn’t have to wake up and try to find something this morning. I never know what to eat for suhoor that keeps me functional for the day but doesn’t give me a bloated stomach when I go back to sleep.
How did you guys do on your goals? Let me know in the comments if you feel like sharing! 🙂